Study trips: Mixing hands-on learning and fun!
Camp Red Cedar is a great place to explore nature and horses through active learning experiences. A visit to our beautiful, 57 acre facility will enhance classroom learning with engaging lessons and hands-on experiences.
The grounds boast a wooded nature trail, 10 acre lake, accessible cabins, miniature rock wall, open meadow, archery range and a completely accessible riding stable.
Elementary to high school students can participate in exciting and age appropriate sessions. We have several options within each of our four activity categories and can tailor lessons depending on group size and class goals:
Hands-on Equine Sessions
- Sensory tours: These tours allow students to explore our facility while getting additional sensory input from smells, textures, and sounds. Students will get to handle different types of horse feed, walk across stall bedding and more.
- Basic equine information and animal safety: Expect a hands-on session to learn how to groom a horse, how horses interact within a herd and basic horse care and safety. You’ll also learn social concepts such as “horse hierarchy” and varying forms of communication. Ride on!
- Equine Facilitated Learning (EAL): is an experiential learning approach that promotes the development of life skills for educational, professional and personal goals through equine-assisted activities.
- Equine measurement: Students test new skills as they explore units of measurement, conversion principles and the ancient origin of using the hand to measure a horse.
- Demonstrations: Learn about the different movements horses have, watch as ponies jump obstacles and observe equine behavior.
- Career exploration: Groups can learn about career options such as veterinary technician, recreational therapy, therapeutic riding and more during interactive sessions.
Lake Life Sessions
- Fishing: Catch and release fishing can be a part of an exciting lake experience. We provide the poles and bait.
- Pontoon Rides: Small groups can a cruise across the lake and learn about different types of fish with a short pontoon ride.
Tree & Nature Sessions
- Nature Walk: Enjoy a relaxing setting as you use a map to locate different species of trees and plants.
- Hayrides: Take a moment to soak in the scenery as you view the grounds from the back of a hay wagon.
Field Activity Sessions
- Team building and communication: Expect a wide variety of group activities that explain the importance of communication, teamwork, strategy and fun!
- Archery: Try a new skill as you learn to hit the mark.
- Lunch by the lake: Groups can take advantage of our relaxing setting while eating sack lunches on site. Use our lake pavilion, picnic tables outside or cafeteria room for lunch after a great morning at Red Cedar.
- Standards-based or goal oriented sessions: We can customize session options to meet specific standards or class goals in each of our activity categories. Let us know what you want to achieve and we can work to make it happen!
Camp Red Cedar is a PATH International Premier Accredited Center and a certified with CARF facility
Please contact us to discuss costs, which are based on group size and how many study group components are included in your visit.